Saturday, January 24, 2009

My secret

Just a few people know that I went and had a mole of serious concern removed in October of last year. Well, it came back positive as a basal cell carcinoma. This type of cancer affects over 800,000 Americans each year. I have been very uneasy about this and even borderline depressed. It is dead center on my forehead and because of the upcoming Mohs surgery and eventual scarring, I decided to cut my bangs (boy I hate bangs). This could have all been handled differently if I had been insistent with the (extremely rude) doctor 2 years ago.

Anyway, I thought that I wouldn't have to worry about it until the surgery. No such luck, I found 2 more places. They're not as bad as the first, but still had to be biopsied. One is right under my tear duct and the other on my shoulder. Since I had them biopsied Friday, we will know the results the first week in February.

I just read the papers that the doctor sent and realized that no matter what happens there will be scarring. Therefore some may eventually ask about it.

The doctor said that since I've had many burns during my childhood, this was a likely culprit. Also, I've tanned in tanning beds before. I'm thankful that I'm so anal with keeping sunscreen on my children and regulating how long they've been in the sun. So now here's my rant: Apply sunscreen! If you don't wear it, put it on your children even on cloudy days! 80% of the sun's rays get through those clouds.

Here's a picture of the offending mole:
Gosh I miss that hairstyle!

3 comments:

  1. It was great to talk to you last night. Stay strong and don't forget to take care of yourself admist everything that is going on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did enjoy talking to you and hope that everything goes smooth with your upcoming transition! I know that this is just one of many little bumps and I'll be fine:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey mommy i love you your doing a great job on your blog

    ReplyDelete

Wider than the sky...

Thoughts about our daily lives.