Saturday, August 2, 2008

Heartbreak...

Friday Ali and her friend go to the High Falls Water Park. They always have so much fun together! Well, my phone started ringing and I finally get to it to answer it and it stopped. I didn't recognize the number and thought nothing of it until 20 seconds later it rings again with the same number. I pick it up and it's High Falls water park...my heart drops! I can barely understand the girl, but get the gist that Ali has broken her leg, ankle, foot, something. I promise Ali that I'll meet her at the hospital. No one tells me which one because no one knows. I have no experience with broken bones of any kind. I almost drop Aiden on the couch. I call for Aaron to hold him while I run around trying to gather his bag together again, find a blanket (of course I decided to wash them all at once 20 min before), get the most recent pumping of milk, my shoes, etc. I'm trying to be positive, pray, and not cry.

Ali informs the emt's that she needs to go to Spalding Regional and not Monroe Co. How funny she would think of convenience over her pain. I just love her. God knew I needed her in my life!!! I drive behind someone going 20 #### MPH! Gosh the speed limit is 45!!!! I take 2 spaces in the hospital parking lot and finally meet Erik at the ER. Her friend's mom and sisters stay with us when they arrive (thank goodness for them:). Ali arrives 10 minutes later and what a sight. The EMT's and the male nurses are wonderful, but the female nurses are not as wonderful (they are not as kind). They are not as wonderful as the women's center nurses that we were with 3 weeks ago.

One nurse tries to set it incorrectly, but thankfully the Dr. catches it and fusses at her! All the while poor Ali is bearing with the pain, screaming, crying, and telling them if she cusses-she's sorry. She tells one she might kick them and then apologizes later. Then we get moved to a real room to wait for the bone Dr. Ali is a trooper! They come to take more x-rays (this time there were no tears or screams). The Dr. has to re-set her ankle because of the break in her ankle (growth plate) and the other break tibula. All the while High Falls is calling us to check on her-boy, I'll have to let Erik speak to them because I might not be very tactful.

Before they re-set it, they give her a drug to knock her out! Boy does it work, but she still started screaming and that's when I started to cry and had to leave. After the doctor set it, more x-rays to see if we needed surgery to have pins inserted right then. I took Aiden to nurse and have some place to pray quietly and cry. We came back to a delusional Ali driving a race car. She told her nurse "Buh-bye Freckles" and "Whatever" after she said she had to leave for the night. I just love Ali! There's more, but it would take an hour to write it. We laughed and tried to calm her as she came out of the sedated fog. We're home, somewhat coherent, and waiting till Monday to schedule a Dr's appointment for the real cast.

On another note, I left the baby wipes, paci, and Aaron at home! What a great mom I am. We finally ate dinner around 9:30 after my visit to Rite-Aid where I basically had to beg to get her pain meds-I hate that girl! I got there at 8:50! It was 5 minutes after I left the hospital. The one on E. College was closed. Anyways, here's Ali...

1 comment:

  1. Sandi,
    I just love the way you tell the story! So much love and humor. My love to all of you, and special hugs and kisses for Ali.
    Erik,
    I love the image I had of you after our phone conversation last night...holding Aiden in one arm and Ali in the other.
    Love,
    MOM/Gramme Karen

    ReplyDelete

Wider than the sky...

Thoughts about our daily lives.