Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Precious life

Life is so very precious and can be gone in an instant. When you get that phone call. You know the one telling you there's been an accident. At first, nothing, then disbelief and finally a flood of emotion.

That's the phone call I received at school today. I HAD to take the phone call our office secretary told me over the intercom system. I walked down the hall and my husband is on the other line. Two seconds, me saying hello, and he says something has happened. My thoughts go to my kids immediately! No, he tells me my sister has had a terrible accident.

I walk back and gather my things, trying to figure out who's getting the kids and the tears are flowing. Take my evening class assignments to my friend to turn in and end up in prayer with her. Thank you God for great friends! Then go wait in the office for the big E to get me. End up in prayer with another wonderful person and tears flow again!

I leave for the trip to Atlanta where she's been life-flighted and arrive to find my vibrant sis on a hospital bed helpless. She tells me, while I stroke her like I would little guy to soothe him, how a heartless person weaved into her lane hitting her and then drove away. HIT and RUN! She swerves and rolls the suv into a tree. She lands into the passenger side ceiling covered in dirt, glass, and debris. The tree pushes the driver door into the driver seat in a tangled mess of metal. Not wearing her seatbelt has literally saved her life today!

All doors lock on impact and the EMTs and others struggle to get her out. Finally the smash the windows and work on getting her to the helicopter. They wash the glass out of her eye and put her into the mummy bag. She tells them to get her Coach bag (just think of me rolling my eyes right now). She arrives at the hospital and is washed up and broken arm is set, CAT scan done, and x-rays taken. She's swelling and freezing. They finally move her to a room only to cath her-owwwww! I had to explain that the cath doesn't hurt nearly as bad as she will after the swelling goes down. I am with her until the morphine kicks in.

WHAT A DAY! She is going to be okay with some swelling and dental work to be done. Shame, Shame, SHAME on hit and runs!!!!

I didn't call her last night because of fatigue and I feel very bad!!!! Just give your loved ones a hug/call and let them know how much they mean to you!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Sandra! Wow - I'm so glad she's going to be okay - how scary. You, your sister and your family are you my prayers - I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much! She was an extremely lucky girl!!!!! She's doing much better, but is so very sore! Love to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nightmare! I'm glad she'll be okay. Hit and run accidents are such an attack! Right now we're loaning our car to a friend who's vehicle was totaled in a hit and run. She's an older woman with a handicapped husband, and her daughter and granddaughter were all in the car. Thank god no one was seriously injured! I hope they find the driver who hit your sister.

    ReplyDelete

Wider than the sky...

Thoughts about our daily lives.